Who’s ready for the heatwave? 🥵
In the Bay Area, we’re expected to have rigorous heat from Friday – Wed. How do you prepare a hot hike? Here are a few tips!
- Start Early.
💥Early like sunrise, and be finished before the afternoon.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
- Opt for a Night Hike.
💥Depending on your location and bring a headlamp if needed.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
- Bring Water, set yourself for success.
💥Heat exhaustion is not a joke, game, or challenge, especially when temps are 100+.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
- Water Recommendation: 1 Liter per 5 miles or 2 hours; for extreme heat and/or exposed hikes, bring 1 liter per 2.5 miles or per hour, and per person.
💥Double up on your water. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
- Bring Electrolytes.
💥Nuun Hydration is my favorite. It is eco-friendly, easy to carry, and lightweight.
💥Another favorite is the Honey Stinger Performance Chews if you prefer to eat your electrolytes.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
- For Longer Hikes, bring a water filter for emergencies.
💥Sawyer Squeeze is my favorite since it doesn’t require any technology, and it is lightweight.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
- Bring a Backpack.
💥 Throw all your stuff in it, including your water bottles.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
- If you bring a water filter and are not dehydrated, enjoy the unlimited amount of water as seen in this picture 📸.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
- If you are experiencing heat exhaustion, take your time, and sip your water..
💥 I have seen people who try to hydrate quickly. Their bodies can not hold the water down. As a result, that person throws it all up and now is more dehydrated. Take your time to feel better.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
- Take as many breaks as you need.⠀
- Wear a hat⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
- Go on a hike next week when the temperature is better. Nature is always there. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Do you have any other advice for hiking in the heat?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Please note, I am drinking filtered water in this photo 😂😄.
And most importantly, do not chug water if you are feeling unwell. Take sips.
At this exact moment, we had been hanging out at camp, we had plenty of water. We found a creek with cold water, and got so excited. I wish I could lather in the creek and never leave. We couldn’t wait to drink water and we were excited to use the gravity system too.